Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hello Green Art Lovers!

I haven't updated this blog in quite some time, and it's been eating away at me for a while! Last school year, we got so busy creating art with recycled materials that I rarely found the time to blog about it! Oh, what an amazing year. I am proud to say that I managed to work recycled materials into EVERY SINGLE UNIT for EVERY SINGLE GRADE LEVEL K-5 for THE WHOLE YEAR!!! What a success!!!
.
Over the course of the year, our school really grew to know and care a lot about reusing, reducing and recycling. Ms. Abair (now Mrs. Plaia!), our wonderful new science teacher, headed up a major recycling program that students from all grade levels (even kindergarten!) participated in. Every Friday, our students collected, sorted and took out plastic bottles, paper, and cardboard from all over the school.
.
And in the art room, we were overflowing with daily donations of materials to reuse and repurpose for art-making, ranging from bottle caps to cereal boxes to containers of all shapes and sizes, even old toys and jewelry! Every class explored different ways we could turn potential trash into something worthwhile and meaningful. The community at Briargrove really got behind our Green initiatives, and the students became deeply committed to the cause - a healthier, more beautiful planet. And I KNOW our school made a difference in the world last year!
.
If you haven't already noticed on my classroom blog, I am not at Briargrove right now. Yes, I am still the art teacher!!! I'm just on leave - MATERNITY LEAVE! My husband and I were blessed with our first little girl, who came into the world two days after school started this year. So, while I am at home, I have been brainstorming what I want to do with this blog. And I think I have figured it out!
.
While I'm here on leave (when I can find the time), I am going to focus on gathering some resources for all the Green Art enthusiasts out there - and especially all the art instructors out there who are interested in teaching our students how to be more resourceful and environmentally aware as they create.
.
I will be adding regular, recurring features to the blog, and I hope they are interesting and useful to you all! As always, be sure to check out the Briargrove student art page to see some of the amazing Green Art from last year! We will be adding to it once I return to work!
.
Have a great school year everyone!
Mrs. Gonzalez

3 comments:

  1. recycle: Thank you for writing about this. Recycling is really important so we'd be able to conserve our natural resources. Something else that you might find interesting is this video I saw on the GreenopolisTV YouTube channel. It's a new video about a "fling" or recyclable plastic trash bin. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKzHRK6n-S8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to think that your work teaching children how to care for the earth, and make something beautiful out of materials that have already served their original purpose, will make the world a better place for your new little one. Congratulations for starting another school year of blogging and helping us to focus on this very important topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. Am introducing my pre-service teachers to it for inspiration!
    Julie Heron

    ReplyDelete